Thursday, March 03, 2011

Iris is coming to life

Look the body parts are starting to pile up round here.......Iris is starting to come to life. I'm sure you will have noticed that this girl has had some colour added to her face.I'm really quite pleased with how she turned out. The faces have been really my biggest fear in the whole doll making process, but Jan's book gives some really clear instructions on how to construct and colour the face features.She is by no means perfect and I had to improvise on some of the colours as I didn't have exact colour matches in my water colour pencils as given in the book but she's relatively realistic looking so I'm happy.

Things have ground to a halt in her construction though for the time being. I'm having a few problems with the arms.I'm not sure that it's picked up too well in the photo, but the fingers are made positionable by adding some chenille sticks (pipe cleaners to some of us!!) in to the hands. I wasn't able to find any white sticks and tried to take a short cut by adding some coloured ones that I managed to buy, but I'm really not happy. As the flesh fabric is so light the colour is showing through the fabric a lot.

So I'll be making some new arms as soon as I can get hold of some white sticks. I also need some extra long needles for adding the arms and legs to the main body. Have things on order, just need to wait for them to arrive in the mail so I can continue......

8 comments:

Jane said...

The shape of the arms and fingers are amazing

Kucki68 said...

It's going to be one beautiful doll!

VivJM said...

She's gonna be great. Great job on the face :-)

jennyflowerblue said...

If you haven't ordered some white pipe cleaners I can send you some. I bought a pack to make my doll, but have spares! Just let me know. (her face is very beautiful) xx

Caren Kristine said...

It looks great. I want to make a doll so bad. I guess I need to get that book. SOunds like a summer project!

The Quilting Elf said...

So sorry Dolly is having trouble holding it together! She has such a pretty face, but I know you'll be happier with white pipe cleaners. Can't wait to see her finished ... she's sure to be a star!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

How creative...and tiny! Love the face, you did a wonderful job on it.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

This is going to be wonderful ... in fact, is she now finished? Did I see her completed on the shelf over at your new blog? Anyway, that hand is exquisite. Jan Horrox's book looks very interesting. Hmmmmmm......!