Saturday, March 16, 2013

A hint of handmade luxury

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to meet up with my good blogging friend Vicki.  If you haven't visited Vicki's blog you really should, she makes the most beautiful dyed fabrics, and posts about quilting and other crafts.

On her visit Vicki gifted me with a couple of her lovely hand made soaps, and I have to confess a new love affair began.  Ever since I have been treating myself to handmade when it comes time to replace the soap bar.  Granted mass produced soaps are a whole lot cheaper but the variety of fabulous fragrances and colours that handmade soap makers come up with is just wonderful.

Every other Sunday there is a little market held just round the corner from my home.  There are only a few stalls and I wouldn't say that the market is worth a special trip but as it's only a minutes walk from my front door I usually end up there and more often than not come away with something, usually one of these lovely apricot danishes

At the last market there was a lovely lady selling some of her handmade soap so I just had to indulge.  She had some really cute little bags full of some of the end cuts of her bars, which I thought would be a great way of sampling a range without having to spend a small fortune :)
Here they are nestled in a lovely bowl that was another thrifting find.  Don't these little yummies look good enough to eat?

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

Those are much prettier than my soaps!

Sarah said...

They do look good enough to eat. Sometimes you just have to splash out and treat yourself to a little bit of frivolity. Enjoy washing!

Unknown said...

Yummy food (that looks beautiful too) and delicious smelling soap?! I'd say that's a great Saturday morning! It is nice she offers the small pieces like that. You can just pick a smell of the day!

Unknown said...

The soaps do look tasty - where is the market - I WOULD make a special trip to see such tasty delights.

Kate North said...

I love handmade soaps - I don't really buy the other kind much any more. They are a little more expensive, but they last quite a while even so, so it's not an indulgence that breaks the bank, really...

Jane said...

I always used to have to tell the boys that handmade soap wasn't for eating, lol, they look just like sweets. What a great way to test the different soaps

Veronica Roth said...

Hi Angela, there is a little market set up as a market morning once/month in my little village hall in OXON. I'm absolutely blown away by the imaginative creativity of the people. I often give my friend Elaine some of my photography card so she can sell them for charity and think that they pale in comparison to the wonderful work on offer. Right now I'm in Vancouver and close to me is a store called Whole Foods, (often renamed as whole paycheck foods) where you can buy these beautiful soaps as slices off a loaf of soap. And they do cost a fortune, but are lovely and fragrant and mild.